Director of Business Development, Strategic Partnerships
Location: San Francisco, CA Department: Business Development Type: Full Time Min. Experience: Experienced
With over 300 game studio partners and hundreds of thousands of matches played daily, Skillz is changing the gaming industry with the first mobile tournament platform featuring real cash prizes. Our technology enables a unique monetization method that enhances gameplay instead of interrupting it, increasing revenue by monetizing gamers in a way that aligns with their competitive nature. Now, game developers can enable a full-featured multiplayer gaming system with cash and point prizes, achievements, loyalty rewards and more with a simple SDK integration.
We are venture-backed by well known venture capital firms including Atlas Venture and Nextview Ventures and growing rapidly. In our quest to make games better for both gamers and developers, we seek the right team members to join in our vision.
Our team is comprised of passionate, sharp, creative individuals who constantly seek out new challenges and knowledge. We come from diverse backgrounds, having funded and sold successful startups, built award-winning games, and worked at well known companies such as Google, Atari and ITA Software. We know how to build and scale disruptive technology companies, and we want your help!
You can find us playing video games in the office every Thursday night or discussing everything from hip-hop to Bitcoin to cutting-edge player matching algorithms over dinner. The rest of the time, we’re working tirelessly to build a truly novel and groundbreaking company. We are creators and builders with a “do whatever it takes” mentality, and we’re building out our core team who will constitute the foundation on which monumental success will be built.
Who we’re looking for:
Skillz is the first mover in an industry formed to help solve the growing game monetization problem. We invented the concept of a cash tournament SDK and have the patents to prove it. Now, we need a high energy executive to focus on building deeper and broader relationships crossing the mobile and technology industries. You are a business development rockstar with a history of generating value for new technology ventures. Your track record speaks for itself and your extensive personal network stands as a testament to your ability to negotiate and consummate partnerships. You’ve done cross disciplinary deals in the carrier, OEM and/or mobile technology space. You’re an avid gamer, and you don’t have or need an “off switch” because you love what you do for a living.
What you’ll do:
- Identify, evaluate, negotiate, and close strategic deals such as acquisitions, investments, JVs, and other partnerships in an aggressive time frame
- Lead our partnership efforts with mobile carriers and OEMs
- Develop business models to analyze deals and performance
- Drive relationship building process at multiple levels between partners and Skillz
- Work with our internal teams to ensure organizational understanding of partner requirements
- Work directly with existing partners and partner operations team throughout implementation
- Manage and apply effective business and technical due diligence
- Synthesize multiple sources of information to develop a coherent understanding of market opportunities, emerging customer needs, and the competitive landscape.
- Document and report on findings.
- 5+ years of Business Development experience
- Prior experience as a partnerships manager at a large OEM or a national mobile carrier
- Proven track record of qualifying, scoping and closing revenue generating partner programs
- Outstanding organizational skills with ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment and deliver on key milestones
- Outstanding ability to establish and maintain a strong deal pipeline
- Skilled at structuring and negotiating complex partnerships
- Experience defining strategic long-term organizational goals
- Enthusiastic willingness to roll-up-your-sleeves and do whatever it takes
- Comfortable presenting to senior management
- Strong attention to detail, highly entrepreneurial, creative, open-minded, persistent, and highly collaborative
- Previous growth stage company experience is beneficial
- MBA from top school strongly preferred
Our office is located right downtown in San Francisco. We’re a small team of just over 20 where you’ll get startup equity and big company benefits. We’re aggressively growing so drop us a line!